More than a dozen shark incidents reported in Hawaii since 2020
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) — Several beaches on Maui’s north shore remain closed Monday following a shark bite that left a French visitor in critical condition.
It is the third shark incident in Hawaii but the first in Maui this year, according to the state Department of Lands and Natural Resources.
The last fatal shark attack was in 2020, when a 56-year-old man was bitten while surfing off Maui.
Overall, there have been more than a dozen reported shark incidents statewide since 2020, according to DLNR:
- On March 21, a diver suffered a puncture wound to his toe in what was deemed an “inflicted” incident about 1 mile off Keahole Point on the island of Hawaii.
- On February 9, a swimmer was bitten in the right foot and calf while in the waters off Kahaluu Beach Park on the island of Hawaii.
- On Dec. 4, 2021, a man was sitting on his surfboard at Banyans Beach in Kona when a shark allegedly jumped out of the water. The man was injured in the shoulder and left arm.
- On November 7, 2021, a woman was spearfishing about 100 yards off the Mala Wharf in Maui. She reported being hit by the shark and eventually lost sight of it until she said it came back and bit her in the leg.
- On May 15, 2021, the victim was kite surfing approximately 400 to 500 yards off Kanaha, Maui and suffered minor lacerations and puncture wounds to his lower back.
- On May 3, 2021, a 14-year-old was surfing off North Beach in Windward Oahu when a shark latched onto his leg, leaving him with deep cuts to his lower leg.
- On April 20, 2021, a woman, who was part of a sea excursion group off Kukio Beach on the island of Hawaii, was in the water when a shark bit her, causing her right leg injuries.
- On January 22, 2021, a 73-year-old California man suffered calf lacerations after being bitten while snorkeling off Kaanapali, Maui.
- On January 2, 2021, a shark bit a swimmer in the waters of Anaehoomalu, Hawaii, causing lacerations to the lower right leg.
- On December 8, 2020, a surfer was bitten by a shark off Honolua Bay, Maui. The 56-year-old was initially in stable condition, but his condition rapidly deteriorated and he died in hospital.
- On. On November 26, 2020, a 35-year-old California woman was hospitalized with serious chest injuries off Kahana, Maui.
- On September 6, 2020, a diver was about 100 meters from Puako Kapuniau Point on the island of Hawaii and was bitten by a shark, suffering lacerations to his left ankle.
- On June 1, 2020, a surfer suffered lacerations to his right hand while in the waters off Davidsons Beach in Kauai.
For a complete list dating back to 1995, visit the DLNR website.
Copyright 2022 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.